ExportWIZ (PRICE: USD$95)
ExportWIZ is a data extraction tool which comes in two components. It consists of:
[Edit Report Definitions]
[Build report Parameters for runtime exceution
- a configuration tool called ExportWIZ Administrator and
- a User GUI referred to as ExportWIZ User which is the export processing tool that can extract data based on the SQL string configured in ExportWIZ Administration.
ExportWIZ Administrator is the configuration tool for the ExportWIZ program. It will assist the Administrator in setting
up multiple report definitions files as part of a collection of reports, saved to an INI file anywhere on the hard drive. However,
when opening the User GUI, you can only use ONE configuration named Reports.ini in the installed folder. You can however
use multiple INI names and located anywhere on the hard drive by starting User component from a command line shortcut which passes
to it the full name and path of the INI file in double quotes (if spaces exist in the path).
This component will assists the Administrator in setting up one or more report definitions, saving them to a configuration file called 'Reports.ini'
located in the ExportWIZ installed folder. You may choose to create multiple Reports.ini for different departments or User groups. When you start
the Administrator component, the main screen allows you to easily add, edit or delete reports from the INI file.
The on-screen options are explained below:
- Browse to an existing INI file.
- Create new blank INI file. You can name it anything you like. However to use it with User REPORT Manager, you MUST rename it ‘Reports.ini’ and save it in the REPORT Manager program folder.
- Report Definitions List will display all reports configured in the open INI file. Each report definition you create will populate the dropdown listing in User REPORT Manager (see Figure 2) from the Reports.ini saved in the program folder.
- Click on the Add button to add new report. User Report Administrator will display an Add Report screen where you can enter report data.
- Select the desired report in the list that you want to edit and then click on the Edit button.
- Select the desired report in the list that you want to delete and then click on the Delete button.
[Test SQL from database]
ExportWIZ User can extract and export data directly from any business database in Comma Separated Value (CSV) or Excel format. Here are some uses:
- can be used as a data migration tool to extract data from an existing database
- capable of producing a user-configurable formatted Excel worksheet file
- can be started by any application software via a 'command line' call
- can accept runtime parameters which will prompt the User for input. These parameter values are then included in the pre-configured SQL to extract differing ranges of data each time
The list of pre-configured Excel reports display as a drop down menu, ready for User selection and processing. User Report Manager uses the report definitions created by ExportWIZ Administrator. Each collection of reports is stored in a special configuration file called 'Reports.ini'. This file is found in the program folder. This file is created by Administration REPORT Manager.
User REPORT Manager uses Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) to open and read any database. Using Administrator component of ExportWIZ, the Administrator can create a DSN (Data Source Name) which is an identifier which defines a data source to be used. A DSN consists of information such as: Database name, Directory, Database driver, User ID, Password
From the GUI Interface of ExportWIZ User, you can configure a DSN to connect to any desired database as long as the relevant database driver is installed.
The main screen which displays above will allow you to easily select a desired report, customize it and output it to either an Excel spreadsheet or CSV file.
When you start ExportWIZ User, the program searches for a ‘Reports.ini’ configuration file in the program folder. The ‘Reports.Ini’ holds a collection of previously configured report extracts created by an Administrator using the ExportWIZ Administrator module. The configuration reports are easily created and the collection is presented to the User
as a drop down menu and all report specific configuration is masked (hidden) from User view.
Each report or extract definition can have an ‘Output file’ name default associated with it. You may override the Output path and filename.
Generally, the report is created using SQL directed at a deafult database. However, selecting an alternative DSN (Data Source Name) means the report can be run across a different database each time, if required. Once a DSN is selected, the program will create an appropriate ‘connection string’ to connect to the database.
The main screen options are explained below:
- Select desired report from drop-down list.
- Enter connection string to data server. This will be automatically saved to Windows Registry and you don't have to enter it again. If you don't want to enter it manually then please follow next step.
- Click the DSN button to display the Select DSN screen. In that screen you can select your DSN and enter its settings. Each DSN would be set up by the Administrator and points to a database/path. When you select (say) X-ADELAIDE you are effectively selecting to run the report SELCT SQL data string against the Adelaide database. The database name and path has been previously configured by the Administrator in the DSN. The User may be required to enter a User ID and password when selecting the DSN (depending on the database permissions).
When you click OK button, ExportWIZ User will automatically create a connection string for you. Contact your network administrator for more help.
- Click on "Test Connection" button to confirm that the connection string is valid and you are able to connect to your data server.
- If any Parameters have been set up with the report, then these will appear on screen. When you click the PROCESS button, each parameter will be validated based on its Type and Format previously configured by the Administrator.
- You can enter the filename and path for an output file. You can browse to the desired folder and enter the output filename. The file type (XLS or CSV) is pre-set in the configuration. WARNING: If the output file already exists then it will be over-written without any warning.
- You can select a report sort options from the available fields.
- If the report is to be exported to XLS or XLSX (Excel format) then you can select a preferred excel output format.
- The View File button will only be available if the output file exists. Clicking on this button will open the output report file in the appropriate application (CSV in Notepad and XLS in Excel).
- Configure DSN button will open the ODBC Administrator where you can add/edit/delete DSN’s. Contact your network administrator for more help.
- Process button will connect to data server, extract data, process it and save it into the output report file.
- Exit button will close ExportWIZ User. All settings will be automatically saved to the Windows Registry on exit.